We are often constantly face to face with the sunlight. The brightness and the glare affect our eyesight and cause us to strain our eyes. The days may be sunny and warm, but often it’s difficult to enjoy the view, and this is where polarized lenses are of great help. How do polarized sunglasses work? What are polarized lenses? This article will go through some of the details.
What are polarized lenses?
The sun’s reflected light and glare can often be blinding and uncomfortable. Light scatters and bounces at different angles off an object’s irregular surface so that we can see it. But when the surface is smooth, the light has a tendency to reflect at one angle and can reflect into our eyes directly. This concentration of light source reflected directly into our eyes is known as glare.
Polarization is a technology that reduces light glare and improves vision. It improves the clarity of the lenses by creating more contrast while reducing eye strain by reducing the brightness on sunny days.
How does polarization work?
Polarized lenses have a chemical applied to them to filter light. The chemical molecules are placed linearly to block some light from passing through the lens like window blinds.
The chemical filter has vertical openings for light to pass through and will block all the horizontal light waves that bounce off smooth surfaces. This is why you see the view in front of you a bit darker than usual, but each element looks crisper and more defined, and details are easier perceived.
Pros and cons of Polarization
Pros of Polarized Sunglasses:
- Increases visual comfort
- Reduces eye strain
- Allows for true perception of colors
- Enhances contrast and visual clarity
- Reduces reflections and eliminates glare
- Reduces tiredness from straining the eyes because of glare
Cons of Polarized Sunglasses:
- It is difficult to see images on LCD (liquid crystal display) screens like mobile phones, ATM screens and others.
- Difficult for Heavy Machine Users: Pilots or operators of heavy machines are not suitable for using these lenses. They are often prohibited from using polarized lenses.
- Not Suitable for Skiing: Polarized sunglasses actually compromise contrast in certain light conditions, making it difficult to recognize between patches of snow or ice and moguls. So they are not recommended at certain times.
- Cost: Sunglasses with polarized lenses are generally more expensive than normal lenses. The additional investment can offset people from choosing polarized glasses.
Invest in a good pair of Polarized Sunglasses
Polarization is an impactful technology that lets you enjoy sunny days without visual discomfort. It is especially appreciated while driving and fishing since it cuts the glare from the windshield and the surface of the water, allowing you to see the beauty of your surroundings. Overall, if you spend a lot of time in the blazing sun, polarized sunglasses will be the right choice to increase your comfort and protect your vision.
With polarization, it is always a pleasure to be outdoors in the sun. HELIOS lenses are engineered for maximum UV protection and durability while also providing amazing visual comfort with our polarization technology. You can learn more about our Helios Eyewear lenses in lens technology.
Looking for polarized lenses? We’ve got you covered! You can buy a pair of HELIOS polarized sunglasses online! We offer various models and styles of polarized sunglasses at affordable prices. Helios Eyewear frames are eco-friendly, durable and lightweight making them ideal for a variety of activities.
Every HELIOS eyewear you purchase can help to provide eye care, glasses, treatments, and exams to people in need! Make a difference with every purchase you make. Check out our giveback program here: Helios One For One